Re: Greek characters don't display

Subject: Re: Greek characters don't display
From: Matt Craver <MCraver -at- OPENSOLUTIONS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 1998 10:03:07 -0500

Razia Ghani [rg -at- DELCAM -dot- COM] wrote:
>Hi,
>
>When we convert a WORD document using Doc-2-Help, the Greek characters
display OK.
>When we now convert this document to html using HelpSite, the Greek
characters are converted
>to special characters of the form &nnn and we can't display them in a
html browser.

>Does anyone knows how we can overcome this problem?

Razia:
I think what you are experiencing here is Unicode shenanigans. You
don't specify, but I assume you are creating the Greek characters using
the Symbol font. The Symbol font uses a new type of character encoding
called Unicode, which Doc-2-Help supports. Most normal font sets, and
most programs out there, only support ANSI character codes. Look at:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q160/0/22.asp for more
information. This Knowledge Base article contains a VBA script that is
supposed to convert Unicode fonts to ANSI fonts, but you may lose some
characters. The article also provides more information on the problem.
-Matthew Craver,
Technical Documentation
Open Solutions Inc.
Mcraver -at- opensolutions -dot- com