Conditional statements in instructions - A translation twist

Subject: Conditional statements in instructions - A translation twist
From: Lori Smith <lasmith -at- IQUEST -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 00:15:27 -0500

We use two constructs when presenting conditional information.

If there are multiple steps the user could perform, we say, "1. Do one of the
following:" then list the options in a bullet list with a result for each one.

If there are multiple results after an instruction, we list them in a bulleted
list starting with a conditional phrase.

Granted, this has the potential to get complex, but we usually find a way to
work around any rough spots.

I do have a question about all of this. We are starting to write for conversion
to 8 different languages. Are there any special implications for conditional
statements in writing for translation?