Re: Acquisitions (WAS: RE: Sterling Software)

Subject: Re: Acquisitions (WAS: RE: Sterling Software)
From: Alexia Prendergast <alexiap -at- SEAGATESOFTWARE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 13:48:32 -0400

I always think it's good advice to be prepared (see, all those years in
the Girl Scouts paid off ;-)

However, documentation departments don't always merge. My company is a
conglomeration of acquired companies and a distributed model works for
us. Some sites ended up merging, but most didn't. It depended on what
made sense for the sites, the products, and the company (not to mention
the Magic 8-Ball, or whatever other executive oracle of the day they
used). I think the reason it's worked so far is because the writers at
each site have set up a loose network by which we've agreed on
standards, etc. -- we didn't wait for someone "on high" to organize us.
In my experience (having never worked for a company that didn't go
through at least one merger), *that* is the kiss of death.

I haven't worked at Sterling, but I know a writer who is satisfied
there.

Best of luck,
A.

Alexia Prendergast
Tech Pubs Manager, Seagate Software
Durham NC USA
mailto:alexiap -at- seagatesoftware -dot- com