Re: Getting Started Manual

Subject: Re: Getting Started Manual
From: Carter Campbell <campbeca -at- CADVISION -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 11:57:34 -0600

Scott,

Sorry I missed the front-end of the original inquiry, but I might be able
to add something here. What perked my interest was your comment on this
being a banking application. I worked on the home banking project for
one of the top U.S. banks. What the original requestor should also
provide is real-time live support contact or a VRU number (voice response
unit) per process.

Software which drives ongoing interest accounts, should have a backup
contact/process listed in the manual somewhere. When systems go down in
this world, postmortem reports are done (been there, designed 'um), but
that little ol' interest ticker just keeps on ticking.

You bring up a good point, its the end users' money. One of the scariest
things I found, in the inherited TW manual past on to me, was that the
writer had written the application could close the user down at any
time. Something I don't think should have been presented the way it had
been. But rather, using the ISO approach, if this happens..... then call
here....very similar to the error command page in the back of
system/subsystem manuals.

Financial software application is a touchy, specialized writing style (we
won't go into the job liability issue here). Transferring funds, stock
changes, VISA payments, utility payments, if done wrong can cause the end
user hours of fighting with customer service.

Remember fighting to get a paper checking/VISA statement corrected...now
triple the steps.

Just think on every keyboard step, if the user presses the wrong key/s,
what should they do.... this is the same premise they use with the
Teller's user guide manuals. Unfortunately, the user loses more than
his/her time on the process, they can lose money.

And trust me....the trickle down theory does fall back on the shoulders
of the originator of the material - SME or writer.

SLBare, C.T.C.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=