Re: Lying applicants

Subject: Re: Lying applicants
From: "William G. Meisheid" <wgm -at- SAGELINE -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 10:37:02 -0400

I have noticed as I have read through the responses to this thread and its many
variants that the discussion drifted off to the domain of employees and
interviewing new hires. Some of the proficiency responses were concerned with
more general talents and seemed to include the expectation that people could
learn the needed specifics on the job.

The original concern was about contractors lying on their resume and being
unable to immediately do the work that the client expected done on site. While
it is true that we all continually learn and become more proficient, one of the
chief reasons a company hires contractors is they don't expect to spend any
resources training them, except in the particulars of their application or
situation. They expect them to be relatively proficient in their area of
expertise from hour one.

We almost never bill clients for training or coming up to speed time in tools or
expected areas of expertise. While there are unique exceptions to this rule, our
contractors, and myself as a billable consultant, absorb that time as part of a
professional commitment to staying at the top of our profession.

Isn't this the usual expectation or are we different in some way?
William Meisheid "Thoughts still and always in progress"
WUGNET/Help Authoring Forum Sysop & Microsoft MVP
Certified RoboHELP Training http://www.sageline.com
Sageline Publishing 410.465.2040 Fax: 410.465.1812
70713 -dot- 2225 -at- compuserve -dot- com or wgm -at- sageline -dot- com
Baltimore/Washington area RoboHELP training

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=