Re: "Technical writer" in other languages

Subject: Re: "Technical writer" in other languages
From: Max Wyss <prodok -at- PRODOK -dot- CH>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 01:13:44 +0200

Bruce,

"technischer Verfasser" is EXTREMELY unusual in German. A technical writer
is a "Technischer Redakteur" (or Redaktor, depending on how far north one
is). Schon selterner ist "Technischer Autor". Although I don't speak
Spanish, I am alsw VERY sceptical about the Spanish term.

And now some ranting: It is highly recommended to be VERY cautious when
relying on Altavista's language services. Particularly their "translation"
of the "Starr Reports" was the source of a lot of laughter and confusion
all over the world. Well, when "law suit" becomes "costume de loi" in
French, something is not quite up to level.

Max Wyss
PRODOK Engineering AG
Technical documentation and translations, Electronic Publishing
CH-8906 Bonstetten, Switzerland

Fax: +41 1 700 20 37
e-mail: mailto:prodok -at- prodok -dot- ch
WWW: http://www.prodok.ch/prodok

Bridging the Knowledge Gap

______________________

>In Spanish it is technico escritor. The e is the <alt 130> character. This
>translates as technical writer.
>In German it is technischer Verfasser.
>
>Both these translations were done on one of the sites kindly given by a
>list member.
>
>Whilst not perfect and whilst it is limited to only a small number of
>languages, it may help.
>
>The site is at http://babelfish.altavista.com .
>
>Regards,
>
>Bruce Ashley