Re: Table of Contents in Word

Subject: Re: Table of Contents in Word
From: David Chinell <dchinell -at- MSN -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 15:36:59 -0400

Chantel:

TOC entries for your first file (the one that
contains the TOC) are last in the TOC because they
come after the RD fields. Put the RD fields at the
end of the first document, not the beginning.

When compiling your TOC, Word is seeing the RD
references first, so it looks in those documents
first. After looking through all the RD documents,
it looks at the remaining text of the file, thus
putting its TOC entries after the RD entries.

The ERROR CAN'T OPEN FILE can come from two
sources: the RD field in the current document OR
an RD field in one of the remote documents. If
your TOC is correct for the Appendix, then perhaps
the Appendix file contains RD fields with invalid
file names.

For example, suppose your front matter document
includes an RD for the index document AND the
index document has its own RD fields. Say you
change the file name of the chapter one document.
You update the RD file name in the front matter,
but not in the index. When you try to run the TOC,
you'll get the correct entries for chapter one,
but you'll also get an error message about the RD
field in the index.

Find out which is in error and fix it, then run
the TOC.

Other sources of trouble...

If you're not using absolute pathnames for the RD
files, make sure Word's current directory is
correct (i.e. the pathname for the folder
containing your files).

Sometimes Word gets terminally confused. Or maybe
it's me. Anyway, the solution is to close
everything, exit from Word, and start all over.

Hope this gets it.

Bear