RE: Do you just bite your tongue?

Subject: RE: Do you just bite your tongue?
From: "Brady, Joy" <JBrady -at- alldata -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 17:17:31 -0500

What a toughie. I know this sort of thing can be frustrating.

Your supervisor is a writer also? If so, then he is truly accountable for
the errors, and I would let this one go. You challenged him to publish
without correcting the errors himself (if I'm reading this right), and you
said that you would not argue with him. Now you can't argue with him. You
really, really can't. However...

This same sort of thing will likely come up again. When it does, I would
recommend that you take a slightly different approach. You say you politely
attached the changes (the "person's" changes, I presume, which include the
errors). I'm not certain that the politeness, or lack thereof, is in the
attaching so much as in the accompanying message...

Perhaps, next time, you could politely add YOUR changes/corrections in
different colored ink without removing the errors and ask him to make the
final choice. He's going to have to delete one or the other, or he'll give
you the go-ahead to finalize the changes as you wish, and publish the page.
The idea is not to challenge him and then give him an out. You might try
more to "collaborate" with him.

Joy Brady