RE: Training Manual?

Subject: RE: Training Manual?
From: "Margaret Cekis" <Margaret -dot- Cekis -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "'Connie Ross'" <connie -at- hartiatech -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 13:53:35 -0500

Connie Ross asked about writing a Training Manual for "a client who owns a
Tennis Court and other sport surfacing business. He wants to document the
steps required in laying down a tennis court surface from beginning to end,
as a resource to train new staff. I am going to write it for him but I
wanted to check with you all about what you would call such a document. My
guess is that it's basically a training manual. It would include the steps
required, Figures, calculations for mixing paints and other liquids as well
as other items such as Troubleshooting, Glossary of Terms, Index, TOC,
reference to further reading etc. Also, are there any good templates out
there? I have written IT training manuals where there was a table, first
column was the step number, followed in the next column with text
instructions and then in the final column, the relevant figure."
Connie:
I agree with Peter's comments, too. For a template or samples I'd suggest
you go to Home Depot or Lowe's and pick up a few free leaflets that they
have for customers that want to install their own patios or decks. I would
not call the finished document a "Training Guide", even if that is the
boss's purpose. I'd call it an "Installation Guide". It would contain the
same information, large step-by-step pictures and instructions, and special
information for handling problem locations like uneven or swampy ground,
etc. The existing workers, new hires, and even contractors hired for an
unusual level of orders, would think nothing of using the company's
"Installation Guide", even if they'd be insulted at being handed a "Training
guide".
Margaret Cekis, Johns Creek GA

http://www.doctohelp.com