Re: Telecommuting ( was: Do as I say, not as I do )

Subject: Re: Telecommuting ( was: Do as I say, not as I do )
From: Editor in Chief <editorialstandards -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Janoff, Steven" <Steven -dot- Janoff -at- ga -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 15:38:56 -0500

Read again.

Singling out people who make ME listen to it...
And some variants of country music and folk music are not far behind.
Also, I can take only just so much of bagpipes. Two-point-three-one
minutes of skirling in the hills or parade ground per season is about it -
less if indoors.

Try though I might, I can't think of a TW-ishly redeeming twist to apply to
this little exchange. So any further on this offshoot should go off-list.
Thanks.

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 12:56 PM, Janoff, Steven <Steven -dot- Janoff -at- ga -dot- com>wrote:

> There seems to be this blanket suggestion on the list that the primary
> business reason for instituting the no-more-telecommuting policy was to
> impose a silent layoff of sorts.
>
> In today's world companies don't have to be underhanded about this. There
> are plenty of open, publicly known RIFs. Especially among publicly traded
> companies.
>
> She doesn't have to impose this policy just to cut staff. There's got to
> be a business reason behind it other than an HR one.
>
> Probably it's to mobilize the team and get people working together to move
> the company forward. It sounds very difficult to turn a company around.
> Other CEOs have tried and failed.
>
> For me it's a question of, let's see how she does. Results tell you
> everything you need to know. If the company turns around, well then, it
> was a good thing to do (likely). If not, well then, the company had
> problems that could not be surmounted by bringing people together.
>
> But just to lambast Yahoo for shutting down telecommuting doesn't make
> sense to me. Again, let's see what happens. We're all adults, this is
> life. You adapt. The people affected will have to adjust. We all do.
> The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows, as Rocky said.
>
> If it does work, you can bet other companies will be doing it too. So
> just hang on to your hat. You might need it. :)
>
> And if you don't like it, you can always start your own company. I can
> tell you that being a CEO is a lot tougher than being a tech writer, not
> from personal experience but from the experiences of friends who have been
> in this role.
>
> Steve
>
> PS - I'm not picking on you, Anne, it's just that you were the most recent
> one who suggested this, although you do point out at the beginning that
> there are good reasons for bringing people together on one site.

__o
_`\<,_
(*)/ (*)
Don't go away. We'll be right back.