RE: Hosted Help - server specs?

Subject: RE: Hosted Help - server specs?
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: Julie Stickler <jstickler -at- gmail -dot- com>, Technical Writing <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2013 18:25:32 -0500

I've been a techwriter for just shy of 30 years. For the first bunch of years it was always books, then early this century it switched to WebHelp... but on CD or in the customer's file system, not served by a webserver, and certainly not web-served by us or any third-party service company. With reference to Hannah's questions, several of our customers put the product in a sealed room that does not have network connection. (As I've mentioned in the past, think of the Mission Impossible movies with the criss-crossing lasers, pressure-sensitive floors (bring your trapeze), sound detection (don't sneeze or fart if you are breaking in), temperature-change detection, scanning for anomalous RF emissions, infrared and ultrasonic detectors... and of course, video surveillance. Oh, and multi-factor authentication requirement to get through the front... vault... door... accompanied, of course.)