RE: Acronyms in Marketing Material

Subject: RE: Acronyms in Marketing Material
From: "Sweet, Gregory (HEALTH)" <gregory -dot- sweet -at- health -dot- ny -dot- gov>
To: Kornika King <kornika -dot- king -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2014 20:13:31 +0000

The thinking is, "We made it to the *Inc.
5000, *we must be doing something right. Why do we need to change this*?"*

Because you were smart enough to hire someone with marketing experience.

Meaning you knew enough to know you could do a better job marketing but you lacked those skills.

So you hired me to get those skills, and I'm telling you this is how it is done.

Because through experience I've learned that this is how the pros do it, and I assume you want to get to the next level.

Then cite:
Apple: https://help.apple.com/asg/mac/2013/

Microsoft: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Manual_of_Style
Sun: http://www.amazon.com/First-Style-Guide-Computer-Industry/dp/0137058268/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1412711490&sr=1-1

Android: http://developer.android.com/distribute/tools/promote/brand.html

The barest scratching of the surface found via:
http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=corporate+identity+style+guide

True some of those books are technical and not necessarily marketing guides, but look at the front matter, particularly Apple which explicitly refers to a separate Apple Marketing Communications Style Guide.

Looks like you get to create the "properly constituted marketing department."

Cheers & good luck!
Greg

Read about how Georgia System Operation Corporation improved teamwork, communication, and efficiency using Doc-To-Help | http://bit.ly/1lRPd2l