Re: Inland Empire interview attire

Subject: Re: Inland Empire interview attire
From: "William Sherman" <bsherman77 -at- embarqmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L Writing" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2015 00:00:02 -0400

You didn't handle the interview right.

I went to Lucent once for an interview in a good suit. (If you don't know the difference, you might as well interview in a sport shirt.)

When I got there, it looked like an episode from Dilbert. Trying to find the way in (there was no receptionist or entrance), I ran into a guy with a bathrobe and surfer baggies. People were dressed in every wild assortment you could imagine, and there were even one of two with ties on, but more like early '80s New Wave style than business style.

Part of the way through the interview, I asked a question about the dress, as if this was the usual or if this was some special day, and said the recruiter hadn't given me any details except to dress professionally. When they said it was open to whatever you wanted, I replied with great, I can get out of this suit and get some comfortable things on. It's much better to work in shorts than a tie, unless I was riding the bike then it would be jeans.

Conversation was then directed toward the ones I'd seen with the baggies and asked if they broke for surfing or if that was just an after work activity.

That broke the "wonder if this guy's a stiff" bit and things went very well. The team all said they wanted me, but the manager had a friend picked out, and let me know that, so there was nothing I could do.

Just as well. Their stock plunged and that office was empty 6 months later.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Clay King" <iamclayking -at- gmail -dot- com>