RE: Follow-up to question about getting feedback from users

Subject: RE: Follow-up to question about getting feedback from users
From: "Stephen Arrants" <steve -at- mbfbioscience -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2009 10:06:37 -0400

As a former user* of Madcap Feedback, it isn't what you are screaming
about. When we used it, users were always informed about what was being
collected, why, and how. They were given the option to turn it off. And
the statistics collected were never linked to their IP address or other
identifiable information.

If any of you civil libertarians had spent 5 minutes of your high
dudgeon going to the Madcap site to look for information, you'd have
answered your own shrill questions.

Think about it. You're supposed to be technical communicators. You're
supposed to search for answers, know where to look for information. Yet
not one of you said "That sounds bad--I'll go to the Madcap site and
look for more information." Or "Does anyone here use Feedback? Is this
true?" It's like, when someone here says "I hate Microsoft Word.
Microsoft is the worst company. They changed everything on me and I
don't know how to do 'X' anymore!" Instead of doing a bit of research
or RTF'in M, it is easier to complain and commiserate...

When are you going to complain about Google, for example, and their
potentially insidious data collection policies Do you know what
permissions you've given them, and what information about you they own
as well as your own postings that they claim rights to?

*We no longer use Feedback because most of our users are in labs
disconnected from the Internet.

2009 tips, tricks, and best practices.